January 19, 2011

Dinner at Maharani, Bentleigh


Maharani
Address: 65 Patterson Road, Bentleigh
Phone: 9557 1030

Last night I didn’t feel like cooking so we went out for Indian. I chose the restaurant because I found a 2-4-1 meal deal coupon. We had visited this place some time back and I don’t remember the meal being anything special. Last night’s experience was much the same. To quote T, the meal was “Okay but nothing special.”

On the table when we arrived there were two sauces; a mint and a tamarind one and we were promptly given some Pappadums to eat while we decided what to order. I had looked at the on-line menu for the restaurant before arriving and was disappointed to see a price difference of $2 for all menu items.

T ordered a Mango Lassi ($4 I think) which he really enjoyed. When it arrived I was very impressed to see the design on top, it was a nice little touch.


 While we were waiting for our meal we took the time to look at the décor. Let’s say, it leaves a lot to be desired. Wall paint was peeling in at least one area and there were many scuff marks from chairs. I also noticed a tea light candle holder with an old candle and we had no offer to light a new one.

When our dinner plates were brought out they were warm, which is always good to see, and our food came out within a reasonable time. 

We had Lamb Masala ($12.90). Which I thought was nice enough; no gristly bits but not a memorable dish.

We also had Kabuli Channa ($11.90).


The Naans ($2.50 each) were tasty, they were my favourite part of the meal.


The waitress who tended to us most of the time was very nice and did a good job, however the other waitress seemed unsure of how to deal comfortably with customers.

Even with the 2-4-1 voucher, our meal cost a little over $26. Not as cheap as I was expecting after looking at the web prices. Maharani is probably not somewhere we will visit again but with a facelift it would have greater potential.


No comments:

Post a Comment