May 5, 2011

Chicken with Rice and Beans

I tried something new today, Chicken with Rice and Beans. I came across the recipe on a blog I follow. You can see Cristine's experience with the recipe by following this link
 
Chicken with Rice and Beans
  • 2 chicken breasts cut into chunky pieces
  • 2tspgarlic
  • 1tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 1 400g can diced tomatoes
  • 3tbs green chilies from a jar
  • 1 & 3/4 cups stock
  • 1 cup black beans
  • generous amount of cheese
Season chicken with garlic and pepper.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Place chicken in the skillet and cook it over medium heat until browned. Remove chicken.
Save any chicken juice, add rice and brown over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add tomatoes, green chilies and stock. Mix well. Place chicken and black beans on top of rice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Sprinkle the cheese on top.


I enjoyed the dish but it wasn't particularly exciting. It definitely needed the cheese to add some flavour. I also needed to serve it with vegies to add nutrition, texture and colour.

This photo was taken before I added cheese
I will try it again but may add some onion, capsicum and other goodies next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment