May 10, 2011

Indian for Mother's Day Dinner

Although not actually on Mother's Day, on Saturday I served my parents up an Indian feast to celebrate the occasion.
It was Dad's request for Aloo Gobhi (Potato & Cauliflower) that led me to cook Indian.
Aloo Gobhi had to be on the menu of course, plus there was Channa Masala (Chickpeas) in the freezer from the other week. I also made Kheema Matar (Lamb with Peas) because it was so delicious last time and Bindi (Okra).
To accompany the dishes and soothe Mum's sensitive palate, I made some Raita (yoghurt).

Aloo Gobhi
I was very careful not to let this burn itself to the bottom of the frying pan. It wasn't particularly strong in flavour which could be seen as a good or bad thing. The taste of the cauliflower and potatoes was still noticeable. I'd say it was average.


Channa Masala
When we ate this straight after it had been cooked, it wasn't very impressive. This time round, because the spices had plenty of time to strengthen I had higher hopes and I am thankful it was tastier than last time.


Kheema Matar
I followed the same recipe as last time, all apart from adding fresh chillies. The absence of the chillies meant it was unfortunately lacking a 'kick.' It was still tasty, just not as good as last time.


Bindi
I love bindi. I had never tried the ingredient before my mother in-law prepared it. It definitely isn't a common vegetable in Australian households. This was nice.


Raita
I just mixed natural yoghurt, fresh coriander, cucumber, garlic and lemon pepper together.


The spread:


Because the meal was rather heavy and filling, we had fruit and ice-cream (or yoghurt) for dessert.


Happy Mother's Day Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment