April 19, 2011

Falafels for Dinner

Yesterday I decided to try my hand at making falafels from scratch. It was a long but satisfying process.
I started the night before by placing 2 cups of dried chickpeas in a bowl of water and allowing them to soak overnight. I then simmered them yesterday afternoon until they were soft and edible.
I made a delicious batch of hommus with half of the chick peas. Some of this was served with the falafels and of course, there is still plenty left over to enjoy.
I spent quite some time searching for the perfect falafel recipe yesterday. Because I had not made them before, I didn't know which one would be best so combined the common element and created my own. Here is my recipe:

Falafels
Ingredients:
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 small onion, chopped
3 tsp garlic (3 cloves)
1 cup peas
350g chick peas
1 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbs tahini
1 egg

Method:
Fry spices and allow them to cool.
Lightly fry the onion and garlic.
Combine ingredients and process until they form a chunky paste.
Roll into balls, place on oven tray and spray with oil.
Cook in 200°C oven until brown, turning every 10 minutes.

Once they were browned, it was time to 'plate up.' I'd prepared the rest of the meal while the falafels were cooking so everything was ready to go.
I made a salad inspired by tabouli, only it had no bulgur. It consisted of cucumber, tomato, spring onion, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I also made a simple garlic yoghurt by mixing those two ingredients together.
On T's plate he had garlic yoghurt, falafels, mixed lettuce leaves, hommus, tabouli minus the bulgur  and warm Afghani bread. He really enjoyed it and went back for seconds.


Rather than having mine as a platter with Afghani bread, I wrapped the same ingredients in half a pita bread.

Before wrapping the pita bread this is what it looked like.
It was an enjoyable, fresh and nutritious meal and well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment