April 30, 2011

Gorcery Shopping Online

Yesterday morning I went grocery shopping dressed in my pajamas, without having brushed my teeth and wearing no shoes. In fact, I was even sitting down the whole time! I shopped online from the comfort of my couch.
My frustration and dislike of grocery has been developing slowly over the last 12 months and I am now at the stage where I have decided to do something significant about it. I read a news paper article a few weeks ago outlining the pros and cons of online grocery shopping and had done a little research of my own before yesterday's trial.
Farmers Direct has much cheaper (free) delivery than the major supermarkets but it didn't seem like I could pick my own combination of fruit and vegies. I would have to buy a box of what they had selected for me. This didn't really suit me, plus they only sell fresh foods and I needed to buy rice and other pantry items.
From what I could recall, Woolworths offer cheaper delivery than Coles so I thought that might be the way to go. However, when I attempted to do some shopping in the fruit and vegetables section I found that didn't suit me either. Woolworths showed the price of buying items individually, for example buying 1 capsicum. It didn't show the price per kilo or the average weight for one item. This was no good I decided, I wanted to compare the price per kilo.
Coles Online was where I ended up ordering from. They showed the price per kilo of fruit and veg, the average weight of one item and the price per individual item. Perfect.
It took me a while to do my shopping, this was my first visit to the online supermarket after all. But as with any trip to a new store, I will get used to it and find my way around much faster the more I visit. Plus, my previous shopping trip is remembered so it will save me lots of time next trip because as T said, 80% of what I buy each time is probably the same.

Of course online shopping has its disadvantages, for example:
  • Not picking out your own vegies that look to be the freshest ones there
  • Not being able to pick the items with the longest time before the used-by date
  • Not being able to compare or even read the nutritional content on the labels
  • Not being able to spot the discounted items reduced for quick sale
  • Having to pay a delivery fee ($11 for me this time)
  • No delivery of groceries on the weekends
But there are also plenty of advantages to shopping online:
  • Not having to leave home; you don't have to find a carpark, battle any crowds or even get dressed!
  • Not being tempted by things you don't really need
  • Being able to check in the cupboard or a recipe book instantly to see if you do or don't need to purchase something
  • It will absolutely save time when I am used to the process
  • You can see how much you are spending as you go
All in all, I was pretty happy with the experience and will definitely try it again a few times before making a final judgement. Now I'm just looking forward to Monday evening when I'll get all my groceries delivered. Hopefully they are gentle with the eggs!

1 comment: