February 19, 2011

Egg-Free Berry Muffins Recipe (not a winner)

I was meeting up with a friend for afternoon tea today and wanted to take muffins. I had some canned berries and  stewed apple I wanted to use but I was all out of eggs so I went in search of an egg-free muffin recipe. The original recipe would have created 12 big muffins but I halved it.


Some of the quantities listed below are approximate because when I halved the original recipe it was WAY too dry. Before spooning the mixture into the muffin tin it tasted delicious but after they were cooked the muffins were really disappointing. Perhaps my quantities were off, maybe self raising flour would've been better (or not wholemeal flour, like I used) or perhaps if I had have added 2 eggs this would've been successful. Unfortunately though, this was not a batch of muffins I wanted to take to share at afternoon tea.

  • ~3/4 cup berries
  • 1 1/2+ cups wholemeal flour
  • 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4+ cup oil
  • ~1/2 cup apple sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
  2. Grease muffin tin.
  3. Sift flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl, add sugar and mix well.
  4. Mix berries, apple sauce and oil.
  5. Add berry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened.
  6. Fill each muffin tin.
  7. Bake until tester inserted comes out clean.
  8. Let cool in tin on wire rack for 10 minutes.
  9. Remove from  tin and cool completely or eat.
Maybe you could have more luck by tweaking this recipe. With the ingredients, I'm sure there is some potential.








No comments:

Post a Comment