March 7, 2011

Middle Eastern Chicken with Chickpea, Herb & Feta Salad Recipe

In the November 2010 issue of delicious magazine I found this recipe and finally I cooked it! I was not looking forward to typing up the whole recipe, so I was very excited to see another blogger had done the hard work for me http://adeliciousyear.blogspot.com

I used 2 large chicken breasts and lemon pepper instead of sumac but other than that, I followed the recipe pretty much as it appeared in the magazine.


Middle Eastern Chicken with Chickpea, Herb & Feta Salad

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp lemon pepper (I couldn't find sumac as the recipe suggested)
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil 
  • 1 lemon, sliced, plus juice of 1 lemon
  • 4 x 200g chicken breast fillets 
  • 40 g unsalted butter
  • 1 round Lebanese bread, cut into wedges
  • 400g can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
  • 2 cups flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped 
  • 1 red onion, sliced 
  • 75g  Persian feta, drained
Method: 
  • Combine sumac, 1 tbsp oil, lemon slices & lemon juice (reserve 1 tbsp  of juice for dressing). Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate for 20 minutes. 
  • Pre-heat oven to 180 C. 
  • Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in large oven proof fry pan over medium heat. 
  • Cook chicken for 3 minutes each side and then place in the oven for 8 minutes or until cooked.
  • Loosely cover with foil and let chicken rest for at least 2 minutes. 
  • Fry bread (I did this in the oven) OR Melt butter and 2 tsp oil in another fry pan over medium heat. Season bread and cook for 4 - 5 minutes turning regularly until crisp. Remove and keep warm. 
  • Add chickpeas to pan and warm through (I also browned the lemon at this stage).
  • Slice chicken and toss with lemon, chickpeas, bread, parsley, onion, feta and drizzle with reserved marinade. 

I served it with lettuce, tomato and cucumber on the side.


It was a really nice dinner and there was enough left over for lunch. Woohoo!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment