March 26, 2011

Tomato Tart

I finally made the tomato tart I was looking forward to and it was received well by my family.
I wanted to make a bigger tart than original one in recipes + and I couldn't be bothered making my own pastry so this is  my recipe:
  • 1 1/2 sheets puff pastry
  • 250g tub ricotta cheese
  • 250g tub flavoured cottage cheese
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbs capsicum & eggplant stir through pasta sauce (pesto would be better)
  • 6 button mushrooms
  • handful of spinach
  • range of tomatoes (I used cherry, roma and some of my grandma's tomatoes)
  1. Preheat oven to 160 and place tart pan in there to warm up. 
  2. When pan is warmed up, lay in the pastry and return to oven for approx 10mins. (I did this because I usually find the base of puff pastry just goes soggy, rather than crisping up. Cooking it a little in the pre-warmed pan seemed to work.)
  3. Saut'e mushrooms and wilt spinach.
  4. In a bowl whisk ricotta, cottage cheese and eggs. Add parmesan and pesto.
  5. Chop tomatoes.
    Remove tart base from oven and line bottom with mushrooms and spinach.
  6. Pour egg and cheese mixture into base and arrange tomatoes on top.
  7. Place in the oven and bake until set. (I wasn't really paying attention to the cooking time but I think it was between 30 and 45 minutes.)
If I were to make this again I would definitely add more kick to the egg mixture, it was rather bland. Perhaps some chilli and Worcestershire sauce, maybe some basil and a good quality pesto would have made this more exciting. That being said, I do like strong flavours but my family prefers more subtle tastes and they enjoyed this.


It didn't look too pretty once it was served up but straight out of the oven I thought it looked appealing, quite rustic.

No comments:

Post a Comment