March 14, 2011

Pear and Apple Puree

Two weeks ago my Grandma gave me about 16 brown pears. Every year I look forward to this time of  year when my favourite fresh treat is ready to be picked from her trees. I love to eat the pears before they are totally ripe; crunchy and delicious!
As usual though, I couldn't eat them all before they ripen so I had 4 pears that I needed to do something with. I also had 2 over-ripe apples so I decided to stew them all.

I quartered each piece of fruit, cut out the core and roughly chopped them then popped them in the saucepan. I didn't remove the skin because Grandma said she doesn't and I was happy not to go to the extra effort. Into the saucepan I also added about 1tbs of water, 6 cloves, some cinnamon bark, 2 cardamon pods and a sprinkling of sugar. My last attempt at stewing apples was ruined by my over enthusiastic adding of water to the saucepan so I was careful this time.

After the fruit had stewed for quite a while, I let it cool a little, removed the cinnamon & cloves (I forgot to take out the cardamon pods) then pureed it with the bar mix.


I love the extra texture and look of the skin in the puree.
Now all I need to do is decide what to do with the puree. Muffins perhaps or fruit crumble? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment